Friday, October 31, 2008

Sad Day for Dad!




Well, today was my last half-day with Camden. It was a very sad drive to daycare today. I almost didn't take him. He could just stay in the office with Dad. I can't believe it has been a month already. Admittedly, before this month started I was scared to death, but it has been such a blessing. We started off this last week roughly. Camden was going through a growth spurt (we believe). He was very irritable and unhappy Sunday, Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Needless to say, I was counting down the days until I could go back to work full-time, but Thursday and Friday has brought back the Camden I have grown to love even more the month of October. He has gained two pounds and grown 1 1/2 inches this month. I would have been irritable too. I am sure most of his growth has been in the last week.

It has been a very rewarding month as Camden has really taken to me. Again, Mommy is tops, but he enjoys spending time with his Daddy now. I can calm him, feed him, and get him asleep. All of which I could not do before the month began. He has started sleeping better through the night. Now I don't want anyone to think we are getting "real sleep". He still wakes up every three hours to eat, but in between his feedings he is sleeping better. One small step for the Martins, one giant leap for Camden. I have a feeling when he starts sleeping 5-6 hours at a time (somewhere around two years of age) Kari will probably wake up every three hours anyway. It has been so long since she has slept more than three hours I believe she has been reprogrammed. We will have to wait and see.

As the day has past, I have already gotten nostalgic. The mornings full of smiles, cooing and constant drooling. Sitting next to him as I cram down breakfast. Ironing my shirts as he watches in awe (what could I possibly be doing to that piece of clothing). Laying him on his back to play and seeing how fast he rolls onto to his tummy, which is about 2-3 seconds these days. When the month started he could not rollover, not you cannot get him to stay on his back. Showing him his picture books filled with family members as he lays on his stomach. He really loves looking at the family photos. Reading stories as he stares intently at the pictures. AND my favorite: singing to him as I take a shower while he lays in his chair. He seems to love this and it is the one thing I could do no matter his mood that really calms him. Honestly, it is the one thing Daddy can do that Mommy cannot. Finally, something that is all mine. She breastfeeds and I sing to him.

We have Monday and Tuesday off work. I am trying not to think about Wednesday when he will go to daycare the full day. I have started to feel the attachment that I am sure Moms feel when they have to leave their kids in daycare. Obviously, no one will love Camden as much as Kari and I. And who is going to read him stories, wipe his drool, show him family photos and sing to him. Again, it has been a sad day. I am going to try to enjoy the next four days with him and his wonderful mother. That should not be too hard.

5 comments:

Martins said...

Okay - now I'm crying. Do I not have the best husband ever! Camden is one really lucky baby. His daddy has been so good to him and good for him. Thanks Billy. You truly are a tremendous father!

Love you,
Kari

matt4bsox said...

dude...why do you iron your shirts?

Anonymous said...

I wonder Billy if you realize in the world we live in how rare men like you are. I could not be more proud of you. Your investment of love and time in your family will yeild a priceless tresure that you will never regret.
Love you,
Mom

Camden, you are the cutiest Tigger there ever was! Hugs and kisses.
Grandma

Anonymous said...

i KNEW you would be a good dad! I miss you guys.. ALL 5 of you! I hope I get to see you all soon... i give all my hugs and kisses!

love, brit :)

MommaLou said...

Well Dad - what a sweet blog and a sweet commentary on your month with Camden. It was amazing to us the transformation in your relationship with Camden early in your stay at home time. I can only imagine that it is even better - the singing is a side of you that we haven't seen yet.

So I know your day today (back to work) probably went great - but that it was hard too. I am proud of you and the father you have become....Love/Hugs - Carma