Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Bottle Boot Camp Continues

Last Thursday I took Camden to the Library for a morning. I used the time to attend meetings and do some work while enlisting the help of three skilled bottle feeders and moms - Leah, Kate and Julie. All three of them worked diligently with little Camden over the course of a number of hours to help him take a bottle. Unfortunately, he wasn't willing. That said, however, I felt very blessed that day to have colleagues and co-workers who were willing to help Billy, Camden and I through this somewhat trying time. Given we don't have family in the area to help feed him a bottle, it was a blessing to have other ladies in my life who care enough to help. Thanks so much ladies. I appreciate you!

This weekend, we went to WV for what we not so fondly call "bottle boot camp". The wonderful women in my family worked with Camden to help give him a bottle. We tried everything - every position, nipple, family member we could and to no avail. That said - he did take a total of 1 1/2 ozs of milk from a bottle from me. While that is progress it sort of defeats the purpose if you know what I mean.

So yesterday he took 5 ozs from a bottle from me. We hope to get him very comfortable with the bottle (even if from me) by the end of today at which time we will try and introduce daddy with the bottle (again) tomorrow and Thursday, we have a kind neighbor coming down in the evening to try and give him a bottle.

We are trying a new medicine with Camden this week to try and rule out acid reflux - so we will keep you posted as to how that goes. Given he spits up every time he is on his tummy, frequently when he eats and seems to only sleep soundly when vertical, the doctor thought it worth a try.

Finally, we are still uncertain as to what his days will look like once I go back to work. We are very hesitant to put him in daycare at this point, thus are praying about and searching for other alternatives. Undoubtedly, something will work out, but the unknowns are making these last days of my maternity leave a bit stressful as they are tainted with a heavy heart. I'm sure things will work out, and I look forward to seeing how!

2 comments:

ET said...

Hi Kari~
I am sure you have tried EVERYTHING but just in case....
1) Dr. Brown bottles- they have an air releasing mechanism and many friends with colicky babies swore by them
2) mixing in a little formula (my child actually LOVED formula when she was small)
3) skin to skin bottle-feeding (e.g. have Daddy get naked); not a solution (for daycare!) but might get you partway there!
Hang in there, it will happen! I'll be thinking of you.
ET

MommaLou said...

Hey girl - I love opening this and always finding new pics and news. We did enjoy having Camden here this weekend and getting to know his personality more. He is a precious little boy but I gotta say - never in my wildest imagination did I expect you to have such a bruiser. The pic in the bump-something is a hoot. So cute!

love you bunches